Sunday, February 7, 2010

Usefulness

When I was in 5th grade Nettie Green told us that God always gives our life purpose, and it is our responsibility to find it. I remember her example was a mother with a 2 year old that God gave the mother to wipe his nose. That stuck with me, because it isn't always the glamour or power that is our purpose.

I sometimes have check list to make sure that I get the things completed that I need to complete but my purpose in life is completed without being on the list. I wake to pray first thing, I bring Paul coffee, I tell my children that I love them, I check in with friends. I never end a day without thinking through to make sure that good was done.

As a teacher, I feel I have a job that can heal others or hurt others. Many times my purpose is putting on a band-aid, giving a hug or teaching how to get along with others.

Yes, I feel useful. Thank you Nettie Green for a message that has stuck with me through decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment