Monday, September 16, 2019

Dealing with Major Depressive Disorder with TMS

I was first diagnosed with anxiety and depression 20 years ago. I’ve tried many different medications. This year I was diagnosed with Tardive Dyskensia from a medication I was taking called vraylar. Because of this, I started looking for a new medication to help me.

After several trials and horrible side effects, my doctor suggested TMS. My first thought was-I’m not that bad off!!! He said that I did indeed have Major Depressive Disorder. I started looking into and the thought of this procedure helping me gave me tremendous hope!

I had my first TMS treatment a few hours ago and would like to share for those who are interested.

This initial treatment took about an hour because they did mapping and measurements of my head and a threshold test to determine what level to set the machine at. I will be using the Neuro Star rTMS. The initial pulses for mapping were tolerable but when they started the first treatment, it was mildly painful. On a scale of 1-10, it was a 6. I had pain just over my left eyebrow.

Immediately after treatment, I felt fine to drive and even went to volunteer at NAMI. I drove home feeling slightly nauseous, and anxious and I’m now relaxing.

I do feel drained but that may be the depression or just the anticipation of the procedure. I took Tylenol earlier but still have a mild headache; nothing too extreme but enough to be annoying.

I believe I’ll have 32 treatments covered by insurance! I’m ready to feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment