Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Volunteering

I heard someone say that they didn't understand doing a job without getting a paycheck. They didn't understand how someone could volunteer their time. I can not understand how someone can go through life and miss out on helping others without expecting money in return.

I remember getting on my banana seat bike with the flowery basket and riding up to the library to volunteer. I would file cards for the new books coming in (yes, a card for each book--this was before a computer database).

Likewise, I would ride the bike and visit Mrs. Arrington who taught me to embroider pillows, and so many others who showed me their player pianos, taught me about hearing aids, banana trees, introduced me to the Reader's Digest books... I don't know if they were volunteering to help a young child or I was entertaining the elderly with my musings but we both benefitted.

I have a quilt my grandmother made with her quilting group. I've heard so many talk with love about my grandmother and how she helped others. What if she didn't volunteer? How empty.

Paul loves to tell the story of taking the Lord's supper to a shut-in and she was using the bathroom and said, "come on in, I will be here awhile". I was so embarrassed.

Yes, volunteering has its ups and downs but what would life be without it?
Volunteering to me is trying new things. If you aren't good at it, you can try something else. I've stayed connected with my children's schools by volunteering both in the classroom and on the PTA. It has given me respect for the school personnel, but also gives me insight into everything that the school is doing. The one year that I didn't volunteer, even though I was staff at the school, I didn't stay connected. In Acts 20:35 Paul told people “to remember the words of theLord Jesus, how he said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”


(Luke 6:38 NIV) Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
(Luke 12:33 NIV) Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

I know that by being involved, your life is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment